Alex does a variety of things poorly - swift, data science, datavis, ML, drawing, AR, unity, etc, etc.
30 June 2021
SwiftUI Project 4, Day 3
Another day, another bit of 100 Days of SwiftUI done.
If yesterday was simple, today was simpler. The challenges amounted to:
- changing some VStacks to Sections, something I’d already settled on yesterday since I didn’t like how the VStacks were looking,
- swapping a Stepper with a Picker, which just required rethinking the binding a bit since with a Stepper the binding is to the user’s chosen value, but in a Picker driven by a Range, the binding is to the index of the chosen value inside the Range, so there’s off by one potential, and finally
- changing the UI to always show the recommended bedtime instead of having a “calculate” button - which was the best challenge, since the UI actually feels natural and automatic now.
I also did some Create ML stuff yesterday, including training a classification model on some of iNat’s data on my little M1 Macbook Air. When I tried to load in my sample training set with ~500k images, I ran into a problem where training shut down with no feedback other than “Unexpected error” which wasn’t terribly helpful. In the end I made two changes and got training going:
- switched to a different, smaller dataset of just 50k images (which could point to a data quality issue in the larger dataset, perhaps non-jpegs in the set, or could point to a dataset size problem), and
- worked with my laptop open instead of closed (potentially avoiding overheating issues, since the M1 MBA has no fan).
I guess as I have time today I’ll try to figure out which of these caused the Unexpected error and try to work around it.
tags: swift - swiftui